Cool off with Dragster H20
Cedar Point Press Release
Brace yourself for a high-speed race that ends with a splash.
Soak City’s newest slide, Dragster H2O, is a six-lane mat racer that sends riders through enclosed fiberglass tubes in a tight spiral that serpentine alongside each other, transitioning into a side-by-side racing configuration. Located in Soak City East, next to the first drop of Magnum XL200, it replaces two speed slides.
Friends compete for bragging rights, so there’s bound to be some close calls and boastful debates. Cedar Point fans chose the name, inspired by the park’s tallest, fastest coaster.
“The sensation of plunging headfirst and racing against friends down a six-lane slide is a new twist for splashing wet summer fun at Soak City,” said Rob Decker, Corporate Vice President of planning and design.
Dragster H20 has more capacity than any other slide in Soak City and can accommodate guests who are 42 inches tall, opening it up to more riders than most larger slides, said Jim Wolshuck, Cedar Point’s manager of waterparks.
“Cedar Point is an awfully large place, and it’s difficult to see it all in one day,” Wolshuck said. “Cooling off in the afternoon after walking around the hot midway is a great way to break up your day.”
Dragster H20 will be ready when Soak City opens for the season on May 26.
- Guests grab a specially-designed foam racing mat and climb the slide tower
- Six guests line up at the top of the slide tube to race one another
- The race begins by sliding down the tube when the signal light turns green
- Enclosed flume sections at the top help build up speed and add to the racing thrill when the guest pops out into the open flume drop section
- The winner of the race crosses a finish line and all six lanes splash into long flume sections that slow racers to a stop
- The mat racer style ride has strong visual and spectator appeal will keep guests coming back, again and again
Facts & Figures
- Height: 45 feet tall slide; 60 feet including tower
- Lane length: 350 feet
- Lane Width: 2 feet
- Capacity Per Hour: 150 riders per lane
- Speed: Starts slow at 10 mph, then accelerates to nearly 30 mph.
- Hydro power: Uses a high-quality filtration system that delivers 400 gallons per minute to each slide.
- Manufacturer: Whitewater West Industries Ltd., the world’s largest provider of water park attractions.. Whitewater has supplied several other attractions for Cedar Point, including the Zoom Flume and Splash Zone attractions. The fiberglass is made using a special manufacturing process that results in a smooth surface on both sides of the slide.
- Height requirement: Must be 42 inches to ride.
Cedar Point opens for the summer on Saturday, May 12 and will be open daily through Labor Day, Monday, Sept. 3, 2012 and Friday through Sunday through Oct. 28. Soak City opens May 26. For more details and additional information about Cedar Point, please visit the new cedarpoint.com or call the park’s general information line at 419-627-2350.